Saturday, May 2, 2009

You’re A Nice Guy But Not My Type


I got dumped by a girl with a great personality. She was pretty also. I was a junior and she was a sophomore. I wrote about this predicament in my last post. http://thepirateway-bob.blogspot.com/2009/04/yeah-but-she-has-great-personality.html . It started out as a favor for a friend but turned out as a pleasant surprise for me. Whenever a guy told me a girl had a great personality that was code to run and not look back.

I thought things were going well until I got the "we need to talk" phone call. Nothing good ever comes after those words. I rode my skate board to her house and sat on her porch. She sat down next to me-looked me right in the eye and sent me reeling with this break up line: "you're a nice guy but you're not my type". I went numb. I said something that didn't matter while I was picking up my heart up from the sidewalk. I needed to get away-hang out with my buds-do guy stuff.

Four months later I was over her. But on a fateful Friday night after pulling off a great prank I was soon to find out what my type was. Growing up in Catholic schools I learned the fine art of crafting a good prank.

One Friday night after a football game my friends and I pulled off the big one. We detached the statue of Saint Anthony in front of our High School and drove him a few miles to another parish school-Saint Maria Goretti. We placed St. Anthony next to the St Maria Goretti statue and attached a sign that read "A Match Made in Heaven" and drove off.

One thing about Catholics is that we have big families and if someone from another parish church doesn't know you they know your cousins, brothers or sisters-it really is six degrees of separation. So someone who knew someone saw me and my friends trying to be matchmakers with the saints. On Monday morning we were called into the principal's office, Brother Fredrick. The good Brother was not amused with the Match. Com. stunt. We had to go recover St Anthony and put him safely back at the school. Included in this penance were three weekends of picking up trash and a trip to the school counselor to find out what the heck was wrong with us.

So off I went to see this guy dressed in tennis shoes, polyester pants and a turtle neck sweater. He gave me this test with questions such as: "Would you rather read a book or be with friends?" Then the turtle neck guy reviewed my answers and told me my personality type was an ESFP. The counselor was not surprised I was an Extravert. He said this explains my desire to get attention. I said thanks. I found my type. I wish I had this info at the time the cute girl was breaking up with me. I could have told her my type was an ESFP. That may have impressed her and maybe give me another shot. The funny four letter abbreviation came from the Myers Briggs Personality Test. I'll say more about this test in the next blog post. Also there will be a link to take the test yourself…see you next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites