Friday, May 22, 2009

Superstar-Superflawed


In this post I want to expose the flaws of the Superstar.

But first a question:

What do Brett Favre, Brad Pitt and Bob Abair have in common? (Besides the obvious)

In my last post I stated that being a Superstar
is intoxicating-but this creates an illusion-a fantasy.
But it is also an attitude. So being a superstar is not limited to the Football Hero or the Hollywood Actor-it can happen to any of us.

Now do you know the answer to my question- what do Brett Favre, Brad Pitt and Bob Abair have in common?

Answer: We're all capable of having a Superstar attitude-And so are you.

You've heard the terms Diva, Celebrity, Superstar right? Most of us apply these terms to the rich and famous. But they can be attributed to us. That's why we need to be aware of the 4 flaws of the Superstar:


Flaw 1: Believe the Hype:
My Dad once told me that a pat on the back is a few inches from a kick in the pants-thanks Dad. I know what my Dad meant-to keep things in balance. Later in life I began to realize that both praise and constructive criticism are important for two reasons: One-if I live only off the praise then my ego is inflated and if I live only off the criticism my ego is deflated. Two-this balance keeps me grounded and both praise and criticism nurture gratitude-I am grateful for who I am-flaws and all.

Flaw 2: Crave the Approval: It's exhausting to be beholden to another person's approval. You spend a lifetime chasing the wind. I was speaking with my friend Sherry about a person we admire for her sincerity and Sherry made this observation she's down to earth because she has nothing to prove. I thought about how true that statement is-if you're comfortable in your own skin-you can be yourself. You don't have to monitor what you say and how you act.

Flaw 3: Finding Significance in the Wrong Places: All of us search for significance. We want our life to count for something. If we seek significance outside of ourselves like in people or relationships or our career, then we end up with emptiness. Our significance is measured in who we are which points to my worth as a person. Our lives count because we are valued and special. My significance though, is found in something bigger than myself-it has too because I'm flawed.

My faith leads me to this something bigger-and perfect-who is God. I am an flawed person who receives significance from a perfect God as seen in this passage-all of us were created in the image and likeness of God.

This is where I get my value and worth. If there is no God and we evolved from pond bacteria then my significance is no better than e-coli.

Flaw 4: Not Able to Transition to the Next Life Passage: Life is a journey through passages. From birth-to puberty-to AARP membership-we travel. Maturity happens as we transition from one stage to another. Developmental Psychologist Erik Erickson says we travel through eight life stages-each stage having a specific virtue we learn before we move to the next stage. My life journey takes me through the virtues of Hope-Will-Purpose-Competence-Fidelity-Love-Caring and Wisdom.

Being a superstar is cool-for the moment. But when the curtain is pulled away and the flaws are exposed then we come down to earth and live the real life-not the life of an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites