Friday, May 15, 2009

My Take on Star Trek





I've never been a Sci Fi guy. But I did cut my teeth on Star Trek. So when the movie came out last weekend, I took in a matinee to relive some childhood memories.

Below are random thoughts from my Captains Log: Stardate 2009:

  • After buying the ticket I notice a lot of men-50 years and older are here to see the movie too-"Live Long and Prosper"
  • Note to self: slow down on the popcorn-it's a long movie. I ate half of the bucket before the movie started.
  • The movie starts with Captain George Kirk, Federation captain saving his crew and wife who is pregnant with pre-natal James T Kirk-the nut didn't fall far from the tree
  • Kirk the Elder dies fighting the Romulans-Like the Hatfield's and McCoys'-it seems the Romulans have always had a beef with the Federation.
  • Ok jump forward 12 years-Junior High-Jim Kirk is joy riding in the families sports car with the Beastie Boy's song Sabotage playing in the background-I get pumped
  • Spock is half human and half Vulcan-the Vulcan's can't "feel"- they're too analytical. But Spock has a choice to feel-what would he choose? Then I wonder what it would be like not to feel. I couldn't feel pain or joy. I wouldn't want to go through life not being able to feel. There is a certain callousness in our culture that has taken away the ability to feel empathy-just an observation.
  • Kirk represents Passion and Spock represents Reason-together they both make an awesome team.
  • Reason and Passion are essential for life-they must live in harmony-Reason is the anchor in a sea of Passion-With Reason I see life objectively and I feel life with passion.
  • I love the polyester long-sleeve-crew neck T's-with the Star Trek Insignia on the pocket-got to get one.
  • Quantum Physics is as exciting as a door knob but the results are cool- like traveling through space at warp speed and being transported to the USS Enterprise while in flight-shout out to Scotty for that one.
  • I give the movie one and a half thumbs up. The movie stays true to Gene Roddenberry's humanistic themes of man's ingenuity-desire to explore the final frontier and scientific progress-I wasn't disappointed.
  • As I was walking out-a man flashed me the Vulcan salute (nothing inappropriate for those below the age of 25:you form a V with your hand) and he said to me "the movie was like the old days". I smiled and returned the salute and said "Live Long and Prosper Pal". Not a bad day at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites