Saturday, September 11, 2010

Influence


Influence has a quiet power to it. It's not coercive or "in your face." Certain people have that special "something" that we gravitate towards. Dale was such a person. Besides "respect" for others, which Dale modeled, there was this hidden "something" about Dale that wasn't so apparent but was profound.

It was that Dale took a genuine interest and un-conditional positive regard in what I had to say. I know this may sound too simplistic, but this quality, is what drew me towards Dale. And his words and actions influenced me.

One of Britain's most famous female politician and socialite Lady Astor tells a story about two prominent Prime ministers: Benjamin Disraeli and William Gladstone. She said "after a conversation with Gladstone, you would walk away thinking he was the most famous person in Britain-but after talking to Disraeli you would think you were the most famous person in Britain."

A person with true Influence moves away from themselves and towards the other person with genuine curiosity. GK Chesterton said it best: "How much larger your life would be if your self were smaller in it." I think this best describes the quiet power on influence and is something I desire to practice.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites