Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Thanksgiving “Gratitude Adjustment”



Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate the things we have and not demand the things we don't. For one moment, can we stop long enough and give thanks? Gratitude will help us get back on track. Gratitude is on the "endangered virtue list." I'm calling for Gratitude Adjustment this Thanksgiving. When I allow gratitude to work its way in my heart-an adjustment takes place to the way I respond to life's trials and joy's-I begin to appreciate the things I have.

The philosopher Cicero said "Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others". Gratitude is a virtue and a virtue is a Habit of the Heart. We choose what we allow to marinate in our hearts. Below are three gratitude adjustments we can pursue this thanksgiving:

Gratitude frees us from worry: Worry is a powerful emotion that intrudes my present state of mind. When I worry I cannot accept what is, instead I worry about what will be. Gratitude brings me back to the present-accepting what is. It's difficult to worry and appreciate at the same time.

Gratitude removes the insatiable need of demanding "my rights". It's hard to demand and appreciate at the same time. The more I appreciate-the less I demand. There is no guarantee I will wake up tomorrow. Life is a gift from a loving God and the rights I have are given to me by Him. That's my starting point. Some people I know put their trust in politics or other things for their well being. It seems to me they spend a lot of emotional energy being angry about life's unfairness-ironically some of them blame it on a God they do not believe in.

Gratitude cracks the illusions I created about life and brings my expectations back down to earth: "Reality Bites" as the saying goes and when I don't like reality-I create my own. If I live in an illusion-I hold un-realistic expectations to fit this world. And these self-deluded expectations don't match with reality; therefore they can never be met so I become disappointed. Gratitude brings me and my expectations back down to earth. When my expectations match reality I appreciate what I have. I cannot be disappointed and appreciate at the same time.

I admit, I need a "gratitude adjustment" sometimes as I am pulled into a culture that emphasizes the "what's-in-it-for-me" attitude. So this thanksgiving let's all stop for a moment and be grateful for what we have and allow gratitude to soak through our soul and see how appreciation will replace all our self centered attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites