Monday, September 14, 2009

4 “Considerations” of Life


This is the first part of a 4 part post…

What does it mean to consider something?

To consider something means I ponder the "thought" without judgment. It takes practice to quiet the mind and just allow the idea to idle. It forces us to take a look at what is being considered. Author Steven Covey's "5th Habit" (out of his 7 Habits) says "Understand before being understood". When I consider, I move towards an understanding.

Life affords us many things to consider-some trivial and some deep. There are 4 things I have considered in the last few years that have put me on a path towards authenticity. I call them the "4 Considerations of Life" I invite you to consider them also-they are:

  1. Consider God's love.
  2. Consider one another.
  3. Consider your words.
  4. Consider your purpose.

Consider God's Love

Sounds easy right? Even Mother Theresa had doubts about God's love. We view God's love through a "cracked" lens. I begin my life with "blurred vision" as it pertains to love. From day one, I need love to thrive-that is "parental love" as expressed with physical touch and emotional affirmation. Human love is an essential Human need. It is a love of "mutuality" that is nurtured in relationships. And this is where it gets messy-for some people it brings profound pain and disappointment. So I'm not surprised that God's love gets thrown into this man-made mess. It would be easier to consider "Unicorns" than God's love for some.

God's Love is hard to fathom because there is no human equivalent. Parental love is the closest we come but even then, it is a two way street. God's love however is one way as it flows from His being without conditions to us. God does not say "I will love you, under one condition"-He strikes out the "under one condition" part and say's "I will love you". God's love is given freely-even when we were in rebellion towards him. His love is expressed sacrificially in the death of Jesus who was executed on a cross for us.

God's love is a "life transforming" love. His love gives life to a dead soul-no human love can do this. I was spiritually dead now I am alive. God's love is a perfect love. Not only does God love, He is Love. And He created me in His image therefore I am capable of giving love. As a "follower of Christ" I live under the "ethic of love" I am to love one another. But my love is not perfect. Sometimes I get it right-sometimes I blow it. When I consider God's love I'm grateful a perfect God loves an imperfect man like me.

When I think of God's love, the words of St Paul come to mind as he beautifully describes love: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. Love never fails". Considering God's love moves me towards this "ethic of love" and the desire to unshackle the hurt from the past-to live a free and authentic life.

So I ask you to consider God's love…




No comments:

Post a Comment

    Follow me on Twitter
    Add to Technorati Favorites